The importance of one-on-one coaching as a developmental tool is not to be underestimated. Indeed, a 1999 study by Hay/McBer of that year's Fortune 500 companies showed that, second only to planned career assignments, one-on-one coaching was the tool most used to develop key people.
Senior leaders today are constantly under pressure to perform amid often changing circumstances. They are required to be aware of and to manage a myriad of organisational factors. They are expected to update their skills and maintain their learning and development.
An ongoing mentoring relationship, with a coach who knows their stuff, can help leaders meet all these needs in a way that is aligned with their own goals, style and beliefs.
Dattner Grant's senior partners have mentored hundreds of senior leaders over the years. Their vast knowledge and experience, combined with expert coaching skills, can assist leaders to:
- Define and develop their career pathways
- Take positive action on the results of Working Life Appraisals or other work-based assessments
- Manage organisational change and strategy development
- Increase self-understanding
- Develop flexibility in their leadership styles and optimise effectiveness
- Develop specific and general competencies
- Foster emotional and other intelligences that will enhance performance.
The Working Life Audit for Individuals
This is a developmental tool, designed specifically to assist senior leaders (executives) in their current and future roles. The process consists of an in-depth interview and a diagnostic-based assessment that reviews the leader on a range of capabilities, attributes and attitudes. By considering personality traits, preferences, work experience and objectives, we are able to provide a comprehensive evaluation and recommend a tailored development plan.
The broad areas explored in the appraisal include:
- Work experience and achievements
- Planning, decision making and design
- Organisational skills and stewardship
- Working relationships
- Career motivation.
The Working Life Appraisal is often, though not necessarily, conducted as part of mentoring and coaching. A follow-up session, where the coach goes through the appraisal in detail and explores the proposed development pathways, is always conducted as part of the process.
For short- or long-term mentoring opportunities, please contact us for further information.